No matter how old you are, good oral hygiene is important. In order to prevent plaque buildup and cavities, follow this game plan for a healthy smile:
- Brush teeth at least twice daily. Fluoride toothpaste is recommended. Remember to brush your tongue!
- Floss between your teeth at least once a day to remove food particles below the gum line and in between teeth. You can also use mouthwash to kill bacteria and restore fresh breath.
- Eat a balanced diet full of raw vegetables, fruit and dairy products, like cheese and plain yogurt. Avoid sugary foods.
- Take preventive measures, like sealants.
- Procure a mouthguard if you’re an active sports player.